Letters from Gaza/ Professor Abdelwahed

Letters from Gaza/ Professor Abdelwahed

Postby montada » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:18 pm

1.03 pm
25 building have been hit by Israeli aircrafts. All of it have been leveled to the ground. An estimation of 250 dead so far! Hundreds of injured find no place in the poorly equipped hospitals of Gaza city. No electricity but I am working on a desiel generator, to send off this message. All mobile phones are out of work too!

1.20 pm
Twenty-five high buildings were hit and more than 150 people died, other hundreds injured. One of the targeted buildings is located 100 meters from me and other is at 120 meters on the other side from me. My children, wife and I are safe so far. Scene is horrible. There is no electricity but I am operating a small generator to send off this message. All mobile phones are off line! A second round of bombing started again with F16s in the sky right now!

Gaza 6 pm
It is horrible outside! Minutes ago I heared a hissing of a Palestinian Kassam, then another one accompanied with an explosion; it seems that the second one received a bomb from an Israeli aircraft that could have targeted the Palestinian group! In the news now, Israeli Apatchi targeted a recreation ground with fish ponds! Shifa hospital stated that there is more than 195 dead bodies and more than 570 injured there! Every minute the number of casulties rise up. Those figures are in Gaza, and there are still no official statements from other towns, villages and refugee camps! Near my apartment my youngest son was waiting for his school bus when the former preventive security department was hit. 5o meters from where he was standing two men and two young girls died immediately!

Its ustterly dark night now. I am operating a small generator to contact the world via internet.

Gaza 8 pm
Tonight everyone is scared in Gaza. Its totally dark; children cry from fear. 206 people dead. They are lined on floor at Shifa hospitals. More than 575 are injured but the hospital is poorly equipped. Hospital's administration called upon the people to donate blood. Teachers' sydicate declared 3 days strike in protest against the masacre. Just in, Israeli aircrafts hit to places to the east of Gaza city where a number of people killed and injured. The unmber of casulties is on the rise! There are people under rubble. One mother lost two younf daughter and one son as they were on their way to school!

Gaza 8.17 pm
Tonight is cold mailey for those whose windows glass shattered by the explosions or as a result of it. With Gaza closure, there is no glass available for the widows. In the apartment building where I live, 7 apartments witness freezing cold nights! They used blankets to cover in the place of the broken windows. Hundreds of homes live the same situation! This is the least to say. On the other hand, Mr Hanieh gave a televied speech on Hamas local TV station. His speech was to raise morale and to re-confirm that Hamas will not surrender. Death toll has climbed to 210. Also there are 200 seriously injured people around as well. Now another air raid to the north of Gaza city!

All best,
montada
Site Admin

Messages from Gaza

Postby montada » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:01 am

29-Dec-08 5:25 PM

Today, dozens of raids have been executed on Gaza city and other Gaza Strip towns, villages and refugee camps. Currently, 3 unmanned airoplanes, a heliocapter and F16s are flying over our heads! In the past hour more than 24 people died in raids on homes in Biet Lahia residentail project (6 people) and Abasan to the east of Kan Younis town (4 people from one family), and in (12 people) all in a resiential building in Biet Hanoun. More than 30 other injured in the two blasts. Blacksmith and body shops in different places were targeted too. Khan Younis witnessed more than 10 air raids today. Targets included Socities and social work activities and football grounds. One UNRWA school in al-Qarara village was hit; a janitor died in the bombing!

Today, Shifa hospital in Gaza stated 345 dead and approximately 1450 injured! Their is a shortage in the medical teams, surgeons, medical equipments, surgery needs, blood, beds, and other necessary health care supplies. Gaza streets are empty except of those who have emergencies. Smell of death is everywhere around us!

Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:09:33
Last night Israeli aircrafts targeted more than 20 places in Gaza city, let alone other areas. Let me tell you what I knew from those bombings:
1- A thirds attack on my neighbour the former preventive security department. One missle did not explode and fall in front of my apartment building just meters from the ambulance station.
2- Two major building were leveled to the floor at the Islamic Univresity of Gaza. One building was main laboratories and the other was lecture rooms buildings. Each building was 4 floors high and a basement.
3- A home next to the home of Ismael Haniey at the Beach refugee camp was leveled to the ground by attack from air and sea simultaneously.
4- Two mosques were leveled to the ground by air raids. 10 people died inside, among them were five daughers of Anwar Balousha as they migh have took refuge is the mosque as their home was unsafe! So far, six mosques have been demolished
5- A building for passport department at the ministry of interior was put down this morning.
6- The buiding of the Ministry of Culture was leveled to the floors this morning.
7- A building for the Prime Minster's office was totaly demolished in an air raid.
8- The main building of Civil Adminstration has been totally demolished.
9- Several attack were executed on places that I did not know and the local media could not cover. I saw helocapter launcing their attacks at night.
10- Jabalia youth sports center (UNRWA facility) was hit directly from the air.
11- An empty house near Sarayya gvernment center was demloished by air raid.
12- A moving vehicle was targeted and destroyed killing two men and a child in Zaitoun neighbourhood.
13- Two sister in the high school were returning home from school died together by air bombing.
14- Several police stations were hit again.
15- Journalists and reporters were officially informed by Israel to stay in their places and offices oherwise they will be targeted. This is to stop media coverage of what is taking place in Gaza.
16- Two hospitals were targeted. Fata hospital is still new and did not start working but hit from air, andother small private hospital, Al-Weaam in Tel el-Hawwa was targeted as well!
17- Biet Hanoun municipality building was destroyed last night.
18- Rafah governorate building was demolished last night.
19- Rafah municipality building was targeted last night.
20- Hashash neighbourhood in Rafah was attacked twice last night. Each time with two missles. The second hit demolished 15 adjacent homes. Many people died in the attack.
21- A playground in zaitoun neighbourhood was his by a missle.
22- Israeli aricarft targeted 40 tunnels at the Rafah border destroyed all of them.
23- Beach Camp police station was totally destoryed.
24- The palace of the former Egyptian governer of Gaza was totally destroyed from air and sea. missles!
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:04 am

30-Dec-08 12:59 PM

Raid are still going on in Gaza Strip. More raids on Khan Younis. Lats night more than ten raids on Khan Younis. Two of it were on the building of Khan Younis governoate. In Gaza an old mosque in Shejaiah (East of Gaza) was hit and demolished. In the north of Gaza, an aircraft his a cart drawn by a donkey to kill a family that were leaving the place to save their lives. The irony is thta it was claimed that they hit a car loaded with GRAD rockets! That poor family had their belonings with them on the donkey cart! Every hour more civilans dies by Israeli bombs. There was a another raid at the Islamic University again, and the former Preventive security deparmtent compunds again. Building at Al-Azhar Univeristy inflected damages too.

Israeli aircraft are still flying in the sky over our heads. We expect more action against Gaza tonight! The Palestinians in Gaza do not have any kind of anti-aircraft weapons! This is the start of 2009. This is the Happy New Year and the final words of the failed and shameful Bush's administration and democracy!,
Yesterday witnesses large demonstrations in Cairo. Protesters shouted slogans against President Hosni Bubarak calling him traitor, and Death to Mubarak, Israel go out of the land of the Nile, and other hostile statements!
montada
Site Admin

Postby editor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:29 am

January 2
1.14 am
What Gaza is like in the middle of the night?

Its totally dark. More than 80% of the Gaza city is covered by utter darkness. One cannot see his finger in the dark! Meantime, outside, there are drones buzzing overhead, choppers roaming in the sky. Inside again, children are unwilling to go to bed despite their bed time! They are fearful of nightmares, bad dreams, bombing, explosions, and what not! The routine sounds of the air crafts has been going on four more than six days and night suddenly disappears. ... Bang. ... continuous bangs. ... series of explosions. ... other horrible explosions. ... blasts ... flames in the distance. ... Kids jump up from their beds.scared ... frightened. ... anxious ... they do not know what to do! They want to hide anywhere, but there is nowhere to go too? It sounds like the bang was under their mattresses. What to do again? Just nothing but wait! How can you convince your child to wait? And to wait for what? Next, one hears ambulances sirens and fire brigades. Thus, one comes back to himself to realize that he is Gaza and he is operating a small generator to write this message to the world in the new year 2009.
editor

Postby montada » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:25 pm

January 3 6.20 pm
I have minutes to write. Nine F16s raided at targets in Gaza. Artellery shelled a 30 kilometers strip of cultivated land to the east of Gaza Strip. Then, several air raids flollowed; they targeted mosques, homes, al-Resala newspaper offices. minutes ago, eleven praying men were killed in bombing a mosques in Biet Lahia at sunset (Magreb) prayers. Among them was a reporter of al-Aqsa TV. No electricity; no water; no life in the city. Officially 460 people declared dead and 2300 injured. Mobile phone are out of order; land telephones can harldy catch and answer. Gaza is a city of ghosts. Ground offensive is on the move with two tanks and a budlozer.

Prof. Abdelwahed
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:47 pm

6:00 p.m. 5 Jan 2008

Today was a ground offensive. Israeli tanks took control of more land. Israeli aircrafts raided on 30 targets in Gaza Strip. I am concerned about the civilians who could not stay in their homes whether in the eastern part of Zietoun neighborhood or elsewhere. Zaitoun is an agricultural area and farmers living there. Hundreds of them could flee to inside the densely populated residential area of Zietoun neighborhood. Many civilians died in the bombing of areas at the edges of Gaza city. Electricity and water are still major problems for all Gazans. I am still operating a generator to be able to write those messages in minutes! Mobile phones are paralyzed and land telephones are static or distorted and other times, it is clear! An air raid nearby minutes back; we do not know where it was but it was so frightening. They hit a nearby building! Its three building away from me; there are casualties!

Israeli aircrafts are throwing down lighting bombs or perhaps it they are lights for military purposes. Israel intercepted Al-Aqsa satellite channel several times. They broadcasted anti-Hamas material. I will be back if could!

Today, Shifa hospital announced 39 civilians dead including 16 children and 7 women! The official death toll has increased to more than 540 dead, plus 2600 people injured! Health situation is unbearable and horrendous. Civilians are confused where to escape! In Gaza - Shejaiah (thickly populated neighborhood), a pregnant woman and her four daughters died in an artillery shelling.

My children are more nervous and anxious after the raid that targeted a neighboring building. I am trying to talk to them and cool them down as much as possible. The thing is that aircrafts, helicopter, unmanned planes, add to it the artillery and tanks shelling do not leave a space for us to relax or ease our tension!
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:27 pm

January 6 12.30 pm

More and more air raids last night; they raided more than 30 times on different targets including a health care center to the east of beach camp. One four storey building was totally destroyed by a bomb from F16s. Hundreds and hundreds of people escaped their lives from fight zones at the outskirts of the city. They resorted to their relatives inside the city, or took refuge to UNRWA schools. Hussain Al-Aiedy and 2o others of his family (Women and children) are still stuck packed in one room without water or food or telephone or any other life facility. There are five of the family members injured from shrapnel of some bomb. Amira Hass wrote their story in the Israeli Hebrew-English daily Haaretz yesterday and updated the story today! On the other hand, Physicians for Human Rights intervened and have been trying to coordinate to reach the stuck Al-Aiedy family; they have been trying to send them an ambulance and perhaps some food, but they have not succeeded so far! There are other humanitarian cases in the middle of the fight, and more civilians are stuck in the battlefield as well. Life losses and casulties number is on the rise!
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:21 pm

January 7 6.42 pm
Isareil military sopkesman announced 40 air raids were executed last night, mainly on Rafah and the boder. More than 30 people killed today including 3 girls, other children and women. 45 killed in bombing UNRWA school were buried today! 1:00-4:00 p.m. truce was a little bit releif to the civilians in the city. The main concern of the people was to get water from distribution centers. There were long lines of people waiting to get drinking water in plastic jugs! Tanks and artillery are still operating at the edges of Gaza city! More people evacuate their palces and resort to relatives and UNRWA schools but yesterday's bombing has scared everyone sleeping in the schools! Today, there were trucks of urgent food stuff and other medical aids have been allowed to be entered from Rafah into Gaza. We are still subject to news but we cannot see TVs. We hear about it from relatives who call us by telephones from abroad. We are still without elecricity and water, plus that a great number of people are without cooking gas! Today, the Red Cross could evacuate some of the injured from the edges of the city, however, Hussain Al-Aiedy's family (21 people mailny women and children with five of them injured) are still stuck in the area totally controlled by the Israeli tanks and vehicles. Despite that Amira Hass published their story in Haaretz and Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) intervension with the Israeli authorities and government, the army did not allow anybody or ambulance to reach that family stuck in the eastern part of Gaza city.
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:18 pm

January 9 6.50 pm

Its getting tougher with more air raids on everywhere; many aricrafts are in the sky and bobming can be heard everywhere. Media reporters have been injured while covering from tops of high buildings minutes ago. More than 20 missles in two hours on Gaza city only! The number of dead people from UNRWA school bombing has reached 67 so far, plus the injured! No place is safe! No electricity or water! Still, I operate a generator to send off my messages to you!
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:44 pm

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:11:03 +0200

Thanks for your efforts and support. My family and I are okay. The Children's Hospital that was targeted last night was Mohammed el-Durra's Hospital to the east of Gaza city. Another UNRWA school was targeted yesterday in Khan Youni town. Civilans are the most suffering people. I have just heared a news of a friend family of two old retired UNRWA employees, Ahmed Osruf 73, and his wife Samira 66, and their daughter Areej 25 living in 8th floor of an apartment building. They found themselves thrown to the floor by a huge blast in a next buliding but debri was in their apartment; it turned it to a destorted and unsafe place! Their apartment is no longer safe; they left to stay with a friend family next block! Too many families have left their apartments to stay with relatives and friends inside Gaza city. Seven people have been reported dead today! Death toll has exceded 900 and what has not been mentioned in the official reports and the media is that there are dead bodies in the outskirts of Gaza but no one can reach them as they are in areas controlled by the Israeli army!

I will write whenever I get a chance for that.
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 am

January 13 11.14 am

It was a bloody night with another Israeli ground offensive last night! It started at about 1:30 a.m. and went on to 6:45 a.m. It was on our neighbourhood again. In addition to their tanks and heliocapters, they used posphorus bobms that lighted the whole area! They burnt two places; carpentery and a home, and damaged others. Last night's attack was tougher than the first one which was executed three days back! Ambulances and firebriagdes did not reach the combat zone untill it was 7:00 a.m. wen everything was over! People were scared, thus many more families escaped the whole area to other areas inside Gaza city, but in the end where to go/ Its all targets and bombings. Last night, to the north of Gaza city, warships bombed and demolished a 15 floor building! It was called Al-Andalus Tower. Also they targeted and burnt a summer resort located at Gaza beach! It was called Al-Jazeera! To say the least, it was a hellish night by all means. I do not believe that there was someone in Gaza who could sleep last night! We do not know about casulties of last night yet! Situation is horrible!
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:39 am

January 13 12.10 pm
One friend of mine sent to me from Europe asking how do I amange to send e-mails in the middle of this situation and continuous fight.

At first I remained for 15 days without electricity and with little drinking water. Mobile phones were broken except and hardly for sending SMS. Telephone lines remained okay for the whole time but there were static lines at times. During those days I used a small generator to operate my laptop. Three days back, the electricity company maintained some transformers and wires so that we had electricity again. We pomped water to a reserviour upstairs! However, it is still that the electric power shuts off between now and then; some other times we receive elecrticity for 2-3 hours, and other times the electric current continues for 10 hours or more. Thus, I send my e-mails. Though its all unusual, my priority is to catch any opportunity to contact the world.
montada
Site Admin

Good morning from Gaza

Postby montada » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:48 am

January 14 11 am

Last night did not witness any changes in the air activities of surveillance and bombing by heliocapters and fighter-bomber F16s; targets were mainly homes of civilians! For example, in al-Nasser neighborhood, last night, at least 5 homes were hit by F16s! One of it was the house of the public relations officer of the Islamic University of Gaza (IUG). Also, other homes were targeted in Zietoun neighborhood! Last night, F16s missles landed in the Sheikh Radwan graveyard! I just wonder what other places they have in mind to destroy!

A medical doctor told me that hundreds of the injured will never recover and return to normal life! I saw a video of a 15 years old girl with legs mutilated from over knees, and another one with one leg remaining, and others ... Health situaion is deteriorating with the limited capacities of surgery operation rooms and poor available facilities. Some 60-70 doctors from the Arab countires and some European ones, in support of the Palestinian surgeons, is a help but it is still that some injured cannot be treated in Gaza no matter what. ... Also, 13 paramedics lost their lives while on duty; many ambulances were shot at when. they wanted to save injured and evacuate dead bodies! Its all exclamation marks!
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:23 pm

Sunday 18 January 2009 (Day 23 invasion)

Ceasefire in Gaza! Is it a ceasefire? I doubt it!

This morning (Sunday 18 January 2009) Israel declared a one-sided ceasefire, however, on the ground they kept shooting at the contact areas. On the other side of the fence, hours later, the Palestinian organizations declared a ceasefire. Meantime, unmanned planes did not leave Gaza skies, and F16s targeted several places even after 12 hours of Israel's declaration of the ceasefire.

Elsewhere rescue operations continued. Only today more than 100 dead bodies were found under debris and in the other places in the fields and back streets in Zietoun neighborhood and in the northern parts of Gaza Strip, and where the Israeli army attacked and demolished! Many whole families including children were found under the rubble and demolished homes. Medical sources mentioned that 20% of the dead found today, were not identified! Among the dead bodies found, 17 were totally decayed, thus they were buried in one grave! Among the lamented families was al-Sammoni extended family that lived in the eastern part of Zeitoun neighborhood. In the early days of the offensive, the Israelis killed 13 from that family! Being civilians, they raised white flags and wanted a passage off that area but they were shot at and killed, and then the Israeli soldiers killed from the same family 15 others inside their homes! Today, as the ceasefire is in effect, rescue teams found 21 bodies of that same family again; it was said that 50-60 people from that family were shot dead by the Israeli soldiers during the invasion! The dead included children, women, and elderly. Death toll amounted to 1300 people. It’s unbelievable, incredible and mind-boggling by all means! Innocent civilians paid the most expensive price; they paid their lives! It was genocide!

The whole Gaza society is depressed for the losses of souls, havoc, devastation, wreckage, casualties and annihilation! Huge losses were seen in the agricultural fields, farmers' homes, and everything around them! Depression, trauma, shocks and pain are common among the civilians! I am shaken by the psychological situation around! Wherever the Israeli soldiers attacked inside the residential buildings they turned the place into disarray! They scribbled on walls Hebrew threats of death, bad language, David star and they scribbled on the Holy Quran too.

The Israelis still call by telephone Palestinian homes threatening them of another punishment! In the afternoon, an Israeli aircrafts threw anti-Hamas leaflets on the western parts of Gaza. It was a silly behavior because everyone in Gaza has experienced the Israelis mastering terrorism against whoever is a Palestinian regardless of his/her political affiliation; it was an all out war against the Palestinian existence! Throwing leaflets was a stupid behavior! That silly behavior did not move anyone after the ruthless attacks on civilians everywhere in Gaza Strip and the huge number of casualties, and the crazy number of deaths and losses among the people. What a leaflet can do to anyone civilian after he or she was bombed by F16 fighter-bomber. It's all idiot behavior!

Tonight is a time of cautious silence and anticipation in Gaza! The whole situation may flare up or explode at any moment! There are fears of other deployments of the Israeli tanks. I can hear a reconnaissance airplane over our heads right now. They have been watching everything! What else will Israel target? I just wonder! There are still untold stories of horror, destruction and death everywhere in Gaza. It is still that 80% of Gaza city live without electricity.
montada
Site Admin

Postby montada » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:24 pm

Day 24 invasion time:

One day after the ceasefire comes into effect. Israeli F16 is over our heads! Tanks are still inside Gaza Strip. This morning Israeli warships shelled somewhere in Gaza. We heard it very clear! Gaza infrastructure is devastated. He who gets electricity and water is lucky. It is impossible that those who live in the edges of Gaza have telephone lines. Some areas have turned into debris, barren and desolate land. Today found more dead bodies of el-Sammouni's family. Also, found dead body of Elina el-Jarou, a Ukranian wife of a Palestinian doctor. One of her children was found dead with her too whereas her young daughter was found in Shifa hospital's ICU. Five foreigners reported killed in the invasion.
montada
Site Admin

Next

Return to Events / أحداث هامة